Back To Newsroom
Bauer BK Series Geared Motors for Steel Mill Overhead Crane
Kranbau Köthen, a major European overhead crane OEM, needed a series
of drives for a new crane being built for use in a scrap yard at a global steel
producer’s mill in Luxembourg. The crane’s high speed and heavy loads
required a high service factor for a reliable and sustainable drive solution.
Modified Bauer BK Series helical bevel geared motors were selected for this
rugged application due to their proven performance in tough environments.
The BK Series’ spheroidal graphite cast iron construction, high IP protection and exceptional corrosion-resistant coating were particularly important for this application.
Multiple BK80 geared motors serve as the crane’s travel drives. BK90 units
were supplied for use as the crane’s trolley drives. Bauer engineers modified
the standard BK geared motors to include specially reinforced torque arms
and heavy duty encoders designed to provide reliable performance in the
crane’s heavy duty operating mode.
- BK Series geared motors feature a hardened wear sleeve and spray ring
- Complies with NA and International standards, including NEMA, IEC, CSA, and CE
- Torque rating to 18500 Nm
- Low noise gearing
- IP65 Enclosure (Standard), IP66 (Optional)
- Completely enclosed, sealed against dust and moisture
- Corrosion protection CORO1, CORO2, CORO3
- Connection Standard with CAGE CLAMP®